Ebony and Ivory



I have a memory of my mom in a long red dress. She walks (with applause) to the front of the stage, takes a bow, and walks back to the piano. The piano is black and shiny - a Steinway Grand. She sits on the bench, composes herself, hands in her lap and then up above the keys. A pause. And then....

Oh, if you could have witnessed my mom at the piano. She was a Master. A Poet. A Genius. A Craftswoman. A Magician.

I arrived today to stay with my folks for two weeks. My mom is definitely moving into the next stage of this horrible disease. She does and doesn't know who I am. She seems to like Becky, but she does not agree that I am her daughter. Not today. She thinks that John is a very very nice man - her favorite person - but she doesn't quite believe that he is her husband of almost 61 years. I could write more details about this day, but they are not happy. They are full of frustration and pain and anger and fear. They are full of the reality of a disease of the brain.

My dad said to me tonight something like this... "Nancy's entire life was music. She was driven by it, it was intellectual and spiritual. It was the moving force in her life and this disease destroyed that almost overnight."

This disease destroyed that overnight. This disease destroyed that overnight.

I don't know how to talk to people about my mom's illness. I cannot expect anyone to understand. You would have to have known my mom to understand the magnitude of this disease. And how in the world can I explain to you about my mom? How can I tell you that she was a person whose entire breath - from the moment she woke up to the moment she went to sleep - was made of music?  How can I tell you (and make you understand) that everything that she knew and loved was contained within the 88 keys of the keyboard? And - yes - my father and brother and I and all of her extended family were part of those 88 keys. That her life was made of music from the moment she was born? How can you possibly understand that this disease destroyed that overnight?

My mom can barely recognize the black and white. The ebony and ivory. She can't distinguish the faces she sees. She hears rumbling, but she can't hear music. She can't identify the notes. She can't recognize the songs. She can't feel the keys.

So, I write tonight with great sorrow. The world is full of it now - and this is ours. When I imagine a life without music, I simply cannot breathe.  And this is the life my mom is living now. 

But then I also remember that red dress. I remember my mom walking to the piano. I remember her sitting on the bench, composing herself, hands perched above the keys. I remember the silence before the sound. And I remember the music. And I am so thankful. I am so thankful to my mom (and my dad) for giving me this love of music.  This love of magic provided by fingers on keys. This love of song through voice and ear and breath.

I hate this disease. I really truly hate it. It's a monster. It's a destroyer. So, with my mom I feel anger tonight. I feel frustration and pain and fear. With her, I want to scream.

But - tomorrow I will hope for something else. I will hum and I will sing and I will hold my mom's hand. I will stroke those fingers that brought so much passion and joy into this world. I will dust her Steinway and give it a loving pat. I know it misses her. I miss her too.


https://soundcloud.com/becky-nelson-linafelt/track-01

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Dear Becky, Tom and I grew up with the same sounds that you and David heard--Nancy playing the piano. It is the soundtrack of my childhood. I remember when that Steinway arrived on Kenton Avenue, how proud Mom and Dad were to be providing their daughter with that wonderful instrument. And I gave our piano tuner a copy of the DVD "Nancy Nelson and Her Steinway" produced after she had that piano rebuilt. So many memories. Nancy beating up on a kid who was threatening her little brother. Taking the bus and el with her to Orchestra Hall one Good Friday afternoon to hear Myra Hess. Mom taking the same public transportation with Nancy to her piano lesson at the American Conservatory. Nancy playing "Happy Birthday" on demand in the style of one of the composing greats. And it hurts so much to have her bright spirit and her music slip away from her and from us. Thank you for caring for her and for your dad. We love you all.
      Uncle Herb

      Delete
  2. My mum had Benson's syndrome, and while so many other things were slipping away it was actually music that stayed with her the longest. She was never a performer, but she loved all types of music. And after she had difficulty forming sentences and communicating on anything more than just a basic level, her face would still light up and she would hum or sing along to music. So we tried to surround her with music as much as possible. I can't imagine what it must be like to not have your home filled with your Mum's music, but maybe she would still connect to listening to recordings. Sending love from a stranger who understands a little of what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the beautiful memory of your Mom at the piano. So sad and heartbreaking when juxtaposed against the reality of this dreadful disease that has taken off her life. Sending you deepest love and sympathy. How I wish we could eradicate all of these tragic afflictions that rob us of so many of our loved ones during that precious closing time of life that should be celebrated and enjoyed, basking in the rich memories together. We are all grateful to your Mom for raising you in the light and love of music which you carry on so beautifully as a tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment